It’s almost here, party people. WordCamp Maui is just around the corner! It’s going to be a glorious event and minds will explode; friendships will be born and much will be learned.
To help everyone get ready for what’s going down this weekend, I’ve made a list of things to note:
- For Friday and Saturday eat a good breakfast. We’ll have coffee, water and tea at the venue Friday and Saturday with some pastries.
- Power outlets will be limited, so plan accordingly. Bring extra batteries, or an external charger, limit wireless usage etc. Or, make a few new friends by being the hero who shows up with a power strip.
Things To Bring
Your beautiful brain and yourself of course! There’s going to be a ton of content to cover and while you may find that you want to bring all of your electronics, you really only need to bring your phone and a notepad; I’d say a laptop/tablet isn’t actually necessary and can even be cumbersome to lug around all day and could hinder your ability to socialize and network.
- Pencil and a Notebook in case the other items die on you
Pro WordCamper Tips
What makes WordPress such a great platform really is the community that drives it. Anyone who is a part of this community will tell you as much. If you’re new and just coming into it, you’ll find it’s unlike most other communities you’ve been a member of. So jump on in, the water is fine!
That said, to get the most out of a WordCamp is simply to partipate
- Make a new friend. Say “hello!’ Lots!! Meet new people, talk about what you do and ask questions! People love questions! I’ll even tell you how I keep my hair just-so.
- Find a friend who’s going to be there. Carpooling is the bees knees
- Ask questions of your speakers
- Download speakers’ presentations
Participation in WordCamps events, for attendees, sponsors, speakers and volunteers, is an elective endeavor. People participate for a variety of reasons: to learn; to connect; to give back; to share… If you see a sponsor or a speaker at the event, be sure to give them a quick ‘thank you;’ they, along with our attendees and speakers, make these events possible.